Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Drake Law as Great Return on Your Investment? - Sure It Is

Look at the info in the green box under Quality and Value

Academic Excellence — Professional Experience

A Drake Law School education provides high returns on your investment.

• Rated a top 10 private school “Best Buy for Your Money” by National Jurist magazine.
• Highly ranked programs in Intellectual Property Law, Advocacy, Clinical Training, and Legal Writing.
• More than 50 percent of students receive scholarships totaling more than $3.5 million.
• 91% of 2007 Drake first-time takers passed the Iowa Bar — Drake's pass rate is consistently above the national average.
• All students since 1993 have had the opportunity to meet a U.S. Supreme Court justice.
• Every student who wants to enroll in a live client clinic can do so.
• Drake faculty have practiced law.
• Student Bar Association named 2007 SBA of the Year.
• Award-winning law library and clinic facilities

Oh yeah, these things add up to one hell of a return on your investment. Tuition is now $30,750. I graduated in May – I work in a non-legal job making $37K a year. And I am actually doing better than many of those in my graduating class. MANY ARE STILL UNEMPLOYED! And this is not due solely to the terrible economy (Thanks, Wall Street criminals and designers of our debt-based economy), but is a symptom of a heavily-saturated market. Many are “overqualified” to work in non-law positions – I know, I had some employers tell me the same thing, i.e. “We are not sure if someone with your background will stick around here when something better comes along.” Many others simply refused to even contact me back, due to my "credentials."

Also, who cares about the SBA at any law school? Unless you were the SBA president at your school, do any employers care about your involvement in this organization?

Who cares if the bar passage rate for the Iowa Bar was 91% in 2007 if you can’t find a damn job in a law firm (any size), government, or in the private business sector upon graduation!!

Lastly, National Jurist magazine is simply a trade association shill – it would extol the virtues and dietary/nutritional benefits of fast food if the industry gave them enough money to do so.


  1. Thank you for providing your story. I am a 3L at a low second tier school on the east coast. I put my hand in the sand even though this information was starting to come out when I applied (thanks JDU/JD Jinx). Fortunately I took a full ride and won't have much debt.

    I wish all graduates of low ranked schools would stat blogs like this. The industry wants to keep the sad truth hidden.

  2. The only thing I would disagree with is the debt based economy arose out of Keynes, who argued that government spending = economic stimulation. Is it any wonder that his is the prevailing economic model used by governments today? Aside from that, third tier grad here and unemployed at the moment.

  3. I love your blog. I left my unranked/provisionally accredited Philadelphia law school after the first year. I WISH I had left after the abysmal orientation.

    I had to laugh when the moot court team was freaking out about *almost* beating the Harvard team in a competition.


Web Analytics