Thursday, October 1, 2009

Drake 1L Still Swooning After Ethics Lecture - Pathetic




Look at this blog for second – this poor student is ga-ga over a visit from an Iowa state Supreme Court “justice.” Get a hold of yourself, young man. And quit calling this guy “Justice” every time you mention his name. He is Mark Cady – he went to Drake (which means the school is tremendous, right?!?!) and later became a judge. He is just another cog in the machine – nothing more.

On a side note, does anyone else find it comical that a judge has the nerve to lecture debt-soaked law students on holding themselves to high ethical standards?

In an ideal world, here is how a legal ethics talk would have started out: “Yes, Drake is charging you $30,750 a year (tuition was NOWHERE near this level when I was a student here in 1978) and when you leave the school, many of you WILL NOT have jobs as attorneys, even in small law firms or government agencies. THE SCHOOL MISLED YOU with incomplete employment statistics. The school MADE LOTS OF MONEY off of these stats. The ABA is AWARE of this situation and allows the schools to engage in this fraud. Yet, it is YOU – the gullible student – who must hold yourself to a high ethical standard.”

Back to Adam’s blog:

“Justice Cady also spoke about how we are the future of the legal practice. That leaves us with a lot of power. We get to set the rules, we can hold the profession to a higher standard and fight for high ethical standards to remain a pinnacle of the profession. On the other hand, we will represent the profession, we will be the face of an industry that is not entirely lovable. We get to work to continue to evolve the profession from where it might have been, to where it can be. With great power comes great responsibility.”

Does anyone with even a passing knowledge of the industry actually believe any of this? “We get to set the rules? We [have] a lot of power?” WOW!! Some law students are pretty naïve, after all. Usually, the first week of law school is enough to disabuse one of these notions. The power resides with the money masters – the judges, bureaucrats and elected officials are merely the sock puppets of the wealthy industrialists.

“We will represent the profession”? Not unless you become a federal appeals court judge, a partner in a Biglaw firm, or a high-ranking politician. Not much chance of that happening with a Drake law degree - or a JD from most law schools, for that matter.

And my personal favorite: “We can fight for high ethical standards to remain a pinnacle of the profession.” The profession of prostitution maintains higher ethical standards than law does.

Yet more tripe:

“Drake Law School is in a very unique position because of our connection to Des Moines. Our alumni remain connected to the university and often come back to speak. It was an honor to have Justice Cady speak with us, and he left us with some great questions and philosophies for our future in the legal profession.”

Does having alumni speak to you help you find a legal job? Does it help one pay back his student loans? As far as stating that “It was an honor” to have a law industry defender speak to you, I want to puke. I cannot stomach this any longer.

Hopefully, this guy writes law essays better than the writing skills he exhibits on his blog. (I hope he smashes his final exams.) To top it all off, I’ll bet this young student is paying full sticker for the privilege of obtaining a prestigious law degree from Drake. With delusional optimism like this, you can count on more law schools being built.

9 comments:

  1. He may have the rose colored glasses now, but wait until he graduates, passes the bar, and joins the ranks of the unemployed. He'll be a regular on JD Underground or focus his blog toward bringing down the establishment.

    Or I could be wrong. Maybe he's in that 10 percent of gunner students who get hired by Iowa Biglaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You also might want to mention in this blog to attend law school prior to a certain age. Unfortunately there is serious age disrimination in the legal profession.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry I spelled discrimination wrong in the top post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the pollyannas of law school.

    ReplyDelete
  5. angel, you and I are the law students who sit in the back and play solitaire or go on Facebook. I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sweetie... I'm too old. There was no FB when I was in Law School. But I played some mean solitaire... and I always came to class 5 minutes late which necessitated sitting in the back. Nothing important ever happens in the first 5 minutes of class.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny anonymous... Law Schools love older people. Not sure firms do. Every associate at my Big Law Firm was 25 or 26, tops.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just discovered this blog and love it! Where were you when I was applying to my 2nd-tier law school and cramming for the bar?

    I'm curious, as someone who is trying to find employment outside the hellhole known as "the legal industry," would you be able to give some insight into good places to look (since your current profession isn't attorney)?

    Funny, true story: met with our career development counselor after my first semester to go over my resume (I had 3 years of prior media/news experience). His first question: "Where are you ranked?"
    Me: "40th percentile."
    Him: "Hmmmm." Props feet up on table, looks at clock, eyes glaze over. "(misprounounces my name), What I usually tell students at your level is to express their personality on their resumes to stand out from the pack. What do you do in your spare time?"
    Me: "I don't have any now. I used to jog and go to the gym someti..."
    Him: "Great. Put a 'Personal Interests' section at the bottom of your resume and listing jogging. Help them get to know you. Thanks for coming in and good luck." Gets up and goes over to his computer without looking at me again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Look at jobs that seek your undergrad major – you will have knowledge and experience in the field and your JD will not automatically make you overqualified. I got my position due to my undergrad background. If you have volunteer experience, you might also look at non-profit organizations.

    If you were a business or marketing major, you can sell the employer on your law license being an asset to the company (especially if the company handles mergers and acquisitions). If you have a degree in science or English, you probably cannot tout a JD or law license as an asset.

    With your media/news experience, you should look at editing or journalist openings. Also, look at PR and lobbying positions. You presumably know how to tell a story, and that is an asset to any industry.

    Most importantly, you must be able to explain why you do not want to be a lawyer – this question WILL come up during your interview. During my last interview, I told the panel, “I actually saw myself doing this type of work prior to law school. And I don’t want to work for a goddamn bank or insurance company.” (My wife was upset at first, but I got the position.) I also showed that I still had command of my undergrad area of study.

    I'm glad you enjoy the blog - brutal honesty is needed. I hope you also check out some of the sites I follow on my blog list.

    ReplyDelete

 
Web Analytics