· What about the MBA/JD program? Drake apparently has a pretty solid business program. The local divisions of major American insurance and banking corporations love to hire Drake grads. But will this help you land a legal job with the government or private law firm? I cannot picture the following decision being made, “We decided to go with someone else. You may have finished in the top ten percent of your law class, done law review and speak three languages fluently, but this other guy did a joint degree. Sorry, but we wish you the best in all your future endeavors.”
· Master of Arts in Political Science/JD. Do I even need to waste my time on this? Poli Sci is a joke. This may actually scare off potential employers. Some employers actually like people with real skills.
· What about the Master of Science in Agricultural Economics/JD scheme? Iowa is a big agricultural state. Plus the catalog description sounds nice, but HOW MANY positions are there for someone with such a combined program?
· Doctor of Jurisprudence/Master of Social Work – this one takes the cake. You will have earned a B.S., a J.D. and a M.S.W. and when you finally enter the job force, you will be making $30-33K a year. I am sure your parents will be so proud of you.
· J.D./Master of Public Health – the program description states, “[this] is a wonderful option for students interested in public health law.” Yeah, sounds pretty lucrative. Furthermore, if you want to go into public policy and advocate for health care reform, you will be up against the wall, i.e. gutless politicians beholden to special interests, Big Money, Big Pharma, and an ignorant public. If you go this route, make sure you take your meds as prescribed.
· Master of Health Admin and J.D. – this may help you get a job in hospital management/administration. But, there is a better chance that the hospital’s board of trustees (or government agency) will go with their cronies/political hacks – and not with some fresh-faced kid out of law school. Not even one with the prestigious J.D. and M.H.S. behind his name.