Tuition: For the 2010-2011 academic year, a full-time law student at Nova Southeastern will pay $30,472 in tuition and fees – for the honor of attending this august institution of higher learning. Part-time law students will only pay $22,978 for the same school year.
Total Cost of Attendance: Using the worst-case scenario, i.e. a single adult living off-campus, the school estimates that living expenses will amount to $22,573 for the upcoming school year. This would bring the total COA – for one single, solitary year of “legal education” – to $53,045! I mean, who wouldn’t take out this amount of money to attend this preeminent law school, right?!
Ranking: Somehow, this school managed to be one of the SEVEN Florida law schools to splash into the murky fourth tier – using the rankings from U.S. News & World Report. Imagine that! Then again, a taco stand with a laptop would have more prestige than this dump.
Employment and Starting Salary Info: The school reports a job placement rate – for the Class of 2008 – of 81.57 percent! Certainly, well worth your pricey investment, huh?!?! The fifth page of this report lists an average starting salary of $59,078 – which is not much more than the total COA for one year at this fine school. Also, note the following:
“Of the 208 graduates who reported being employed, 143 agreed to disclose their salary information. The remaining 65 provided information regarding their employment status, but refused to disclose salary data. The following statistics are compiled from the 143 responses with salary information.”
This means that these figures are based on the 68.75% of respondents who furnished salary info to the school. Maybe the remaining 31.25 percent were making so much money, after graduating from this trash pit, that they were embarrassed to provide their income. Yeah, and maybe Salma Hayek wants me to invite Jessica Alba to our next sleepover.
Also, go to the fourth page, where the school notes that there were 258 members of the 2008 graduating class – of which 255 reported employment status. So these salary figures ONLY take into account those who are employed – the school apparently does not feel that adding 47 unemployed grads to the calculations would benefit the institution.
The third page of this PDF states:
“In recent years, there have been a rising number of firm mergers and dissolutions, and more general movement of lawyers in and out of law firms. Entry-level attorney hiring statistics are directly impacted by instability in the legal market place. The South Florida legal job market seems to be consistent with legal job markets throughout the country. Some legal employers are not hiring, and some are hiring fewer Attorneys than in past years.
For the most part, NSU Law’s employment data are also consistent with similar legal markets throughout the country. The statistics for the class of 2008 reflect a slight decrease in employment rates, with 81.57% of graduates reporting employment compared 83.68% who reported being employed in 2007. While down slightly from 2007, the 2008 figure was within the typical range of recent years (82.1% reported being employed in 2006, 80.8% in 2005, and 82.7% in 2004.) Percentages are based upon graduates that reported their status.”
More info from the Career Development Office – in the form of handouts and publications designed to help one on how to start their own practice, networking, and writing samples.
Conclusion: One could EASILY end up with $165K in debt by attending this fourth tier trash can. Attending this school can be dangerous to one's financial health. Would you ask YOUR kid to take out this amount of non-dischargeable debt for a TTTT law degree – and accompanying TTTT job prospects? Hell, the school published that the job placement rate – for its Class of 2008 - was 81.57 percent. What rational person would take these chances?